7.16.2005

I got new hair!

So.... the other day I went to the Kuafor - the Turkish barber for the first time. I only get my hair cut like 2-3 times a year to begin with and generally it's just shorter, I don't do anything too dramatic. Heh... you know what's coming don't you?
First let me set the stage for this place. An appropriate description was given by my friend when she asked where the 'big man who prances around like a stallion' was. The salon only had male hair dressers, now I am not sure if that is just a common thing for Turkey -- from what I've noticed it is. For example, every time I walk by 'penti world' (panty world) or any other store like that there are only men that work there. The same way that there was only men working at the hello kitty store and the guys at the bazaar that sell bras. So, it struck me as a little weird that there were only women getting their hair done but there was not a woman hair dresser to be seen. Don't get me wrong, these guys are no amateurs -- they know their stuff. In fact, Edward scissor hands cut my hair. At least that is what I nicknamed this guy. I've never seen hands fly like that -- you remember the part where he makes the ice sculpture... it was like that but with my head. There was hair flying, hands waving, people oohing and awwwwing. Okay, no one did that -- they were all to stunned to speak I am sure.
Oh Edward, he really didn't know what to think about me. He was so convinced I was Turkish... he kept telling me 'You look like everyone else....blahblahblah (I stopped understanding)' . He was like 'So your Dad's turkish?' ...'no'....'So your mom's Turkish?' ....'no'... 'Who in your family was Turkish?'. And then later he asked my friends I was with if I was Turkish, like maybe they would tell him the truth. He told me 'You listen, I will just tell you.... (stopped understanding again)' Edward really thought that since I looked Turkish I would just understand him so he just talked and I smiled thinking 'He must think I am really stupid because I can't understand him and when I talk I sound like a 3 year old.'
So, I now have a very European haircut.... I can't decide if it qualifies for mullet status or is more 80s rockstar hair. You can vote and let me know. Right now I am leaning towards 80s rockstar but I mean really -- who wants a mullet? (still trying to forget the Bobby mullet)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Erin,

You can't live overseas without having at least one crazy hair salon story! For the record, I think your cut turned out really well...I'm not sure about whether or not it truly qualifies as a mullet, but I think you look great. There's something to be said for living like a local, right down to your follicles. :-)