Life here is continuously becoming more 'normal'.... or I guess I should say that things here are the same, we are just getting more used to them. There were things when we arrived that I couldn't imagine getting used to. But alas, I had to think really hard about what those things even were now.
- Jeff never thought he would get used to being called Kak Jeff. That is how they refer to men here, it is like Mr. and is a term of respect. It is pronounced like a bad word in English, it rhymes with sock. But now Jeff is called Kak Jeff several times a day and refers to other men as Kak so and so without being phased.
- Pretty much every English cuss word is a normal word in Kurdish. Just walking down the street or listening to people talk it sounds like they are dropping the F-bomb and every other manner of cuss word. The word for thing or stuff is Sh*t, so people say it ALL the time. I use it now without feeling awkward, so that's a step forward.
- The electricity goes off every 2 hours when it switches from government provided electricity to community provided electricity. Sometimes it takes several minutes for the switch to happen or other times it won't switch at all and you are left in the dark. I used to feel like everything should stop when this happened (haha it just happened as I'm typing this). But now it doesn't matter where we are, you just continue your conversation, finish your dinner, do the dishes all in the dark and it is okay.
Well, I'm not sure it is coming back on, so I better go before we loose our back up power source!
3.09.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment