4.02.2008

Foolishness

Jeff & I are trying to read through the Bible in a year. It is something I have tried to do annually for the last 7 years. I don't think I've been successful every time - but each time there are very familiar passages that come alive in a new way. I love that about the Word - that it is living and active, sharper than any double edged sword (Hebrews 4:12 ... and I had to look this up, it seems no matter how many times I read these verses memorizing references is not my thing). I've used a different translation every year for the last 4 years of doing this and this year we're using the NLT, it is more of a paraphrasing of scripture in more modern day language than it is an exact translation of the original language. I remember being strongly cautioned against using such 'fluffy' translations in one of my freshman religion classes at Baylor - but I decided to take my chances, and I really like it. It makes the old testament much more readable (for me).
One of my favorite themes throughout the Bible is foolishness - I mean really, if Jesus Christ isn't who he said he was, then this whole thing is pretty dang foolish. The Bible is full of fools who obeyed God in his seemingly foolish requests.
I was reading in Deuteronomy about generosity:
'Give generously to the poor, not grudgingly, for the Lord your God will bless you in everything you do. There will always be some in the land who are poor. That is why I am commanding you to share freely with the poor and with other Israelites in need. ' Deut5:10-11.
I like this passage because God acknowledges that the poor will always exist but instead of it being a point of resignation he commands us to give generously to support them. To not do so is to be 'hard hearted' and 'tight fisted' according to verse 7 of Chapter 15. All that we have is God's provision in our lives anyhow isn't it? I am reminded that 'He owns a cattle on a thousand hills' said the Psalmist. I've seen a lot of poverty in the Dallas area (like any major city I'm sure), it is on the news, co-workers talk about it (usually in a negative, dangerous kind of way), and in this time of economic crisis I'm reminded that it is okay to be foolish and 'give to everyone who asks you, give and do not hold back' (Luke 6:30). All I hear on the news are tips for protecting yourself and your finances, and this was a good reminder for me to not become 'tight fisted' or fearful because God has always faithfully provided everything that I've needed and I've never given to someone and not had what I needed for myself. So, my advice is get a little foolish, don't buy into all the media hype about protecting yourself and your money - we can trust Him to satisfy every need we have, but how will we know unless we respond in faith and let ourselves need Him?

3 comments:

Jeff said...

this is so true. God has always taken care of us. who are we to not help out those in need.

ruth.kern said...

I totally agree. And although not true across the board, a fair percentage of people in bad situations at the moment got themselves there by greed and not asking for God's guidance in financial decisions. Caleb and I have spent the past year thriving in the blessings God provided only since we gave our money over fully to Him.

Ronnica said...

I also like to read the Bible through each year as well. I'm always surprised about what passages stand out to me each time. It's a great way to get a bigger picture of what God's Word is all about.